Frigiliana has repeatedly received the award “Most beautiful village of Andalucia” and belongs to the famous white villages of Andalucia which dot the bold mountains in the magnificent landscape of the Eastern Costa del Sol.
Narrow pathways lead through the medieval village. The small windows and white chalked, thick walls keep the interior of the tall townhouses cool, even went the heat squeezes the last trickle of sweat out of the pores during Spain’s midsummer time.
Frigiliana, Andalusia – Most Beautiful Village In Spain
If you want to stay in one of the most beautiful villages in Spain, Frigiliana should be on your bucket list. It is probably one of the most picturesque white villages along the Costa del Sol just in the foothills of the Sierras de Tejeda National Park. Order here your brand new Lonely Planet Spain– and Andalucia & Costa Del Sol Travel Guide.
Where is Frigiliana, Spain – Map
Frigiliana Spain Map
We had the best introduction to the region as we passed the old mountain road from Granada to the Costa del Sol through the Sierra Nevada mountains to approach the Sierras de Tejeda from the east. What a revelation Frigiliana was, one of the most beautiful Spanish villages we had seen so far.
Unbeatable views of Costa del Sol
The village is divided into two, the newer lower section, where you should find parking easier and the upper section: the older Morisco-Mudéjar neighborhood, where you can walk to in a few minutes. The upper section is the pristine old town.
Frigiliana, Andalusia, Spain
Frigiliana is built on the mountainside, so you’ll have to negotiate some steep paths. But it is definitively worth the effort.
The older, upper part of Frigiliana
Steep paths through narrow alleys
Frigiliana Holiday Rentals
Lovely clean, modern, beautifully presented, well-equipped house in a good location with two terraces, stunning views in the lower section of Frigiliana. Book It!
Hotel Rural Los Caracoles
The white hobbit like rooms and bungalows are blending in the landscape in a natural way and are very well decorated without losing the idea of comfort. Excellent beds, air conditioning and balconies with amazing view over of the sea and mountains and over Frigiliana and Nerja at Los Caracoles. The restaurant is on top of the mountain with an almost 360 view. Hotel Rural Los Caracoles
La Posada Morisca
A gorgeous boutique scale hotel with fabulous views and a lovely infinity pool. La Posada Morisca is situated a bit more than a kilometer outside of Frigiliana. La Posada Morisca
Villas For Rent In Frigiliana, Andalusia, Spain
There are villas to rent in Frigiliana of which terraces you can enjoy the views or you can read a book between the red clay roofs while the sky doesn’t show one tiny cloud despite it being winter in the northern hemisphere. On a clear day, even the North African coastline may be visible.
Casa del Cielo
Very firiendly hosts, magnificent views, exceptional accommodation with everything supplied from beach towels, lounger pads, even shower gel and shampoo in the bathroom. Fabulous infinity pool, sumptuous gardens. Book it!
The accommodation has everything you need as a ‘proper’ home to stay in – from extremely good Wifi/IP TV services, to decent fridge/freezer, ironing board/iron, cooking utensils, toaster, microwave, etc. etc. The owner even leaves wine, beer, juice, milk, water, in the fridge as a welcome pack. The roof terrace is amazing and view of Frigilana and down to the sea outstanding. Book it!
Lovely villa, loads of space, beautiful terrace, views, BBQ and pool area, great games area for kids, comfortable and well equipped. Close to Nerja and Frigiliana, supermarkets etc. Book it!
Located in Frigiliana, Algarabí has self-catering accommodations with a terrace and free WiFi. The property has sea and mountain views. The vacation home includes 1 bedroom, a kitchenette with a microwave and a toaster, as well as a coffee machine and grill. Book it!
Casita Alberto SpainsunRentals
Featuring a garden, terrace, Casita Alberto SpainsunRentals provides accommodations in Frigiliana with garden, sea and mountain views and free WiFi. The villa has 1 bedroom, a TV with satellite channels and a fully equipped kitchen that provides a dishwasher. Book it!
Villa Piedras Blancas
Beautiful scenery, great location, and wonderful villa. Rustic and rural. Has all you need for a peaceful stay. Close to towns as long as you have a car. Bathroom with lovely shower. Good size master bedroom with plenty of storage. Book it!
Offering an outdoor pool, Villa Ruiz is located in Frigiliana. Free Wi-Fi access is available in this country house with two bedrooms. The villa features two balconies with panoramic sea and mountain views. Beautiful, peaceful location. Book it!
The property is in a beautiful location with gorgeous views from all of the terraces. It is traditional Spanish in decor and very roomy. It is about one-third of the way from Nerja to Frigiliana. Your favourite place will most probably be on the roof terrace with a bottle of wine star watching! Very quiet and peaceful. Truly magical and most highly recommended. Book it!
Colorful pot plants with lavender, jasmine, and bushes of bougainvillea contrast beautifully with the whitewashed houses.
Where To Eat In Frigiliana
The Garden Restaurant Frigiliana
We found a restaurant with a stunning view of the surrounding countryside and the coast below.
George found a tucked away entrance to the restaurant
Having an ice-cold, home-made lemonade with views
Things To Do In Frigiliana
Historical And Cultural Highlights
- If you look for historical and cultural things to do, Frigiliana, Spain offers a lot: Fuente Vieja (old fountain), the San Antonio church, the Real Expósito (ancient silo), Santo Cristo de la Caña chapel and the Renaissance Palace of the Counts of Frigiliana.
- The El Ingenio (the mill) or also called the Casa Solariega de Los Condes was built in the late 16th century for the Manrique de Lara family. They planted a sugar cane plantation and established a sugar mill. The building still houses a molasses factory, the Ingenio Nuestra Señora del Carmen— the last of its kind in Europe.
- The Tourist Office, the Historical Museum and the Municipal Library are situated in the Casa del Apero, built in the XVII Century. The museum is the first archaeological museum in the Axarquía.
- You can access a picturesque old granary via a plant-filled archway, signposted ‘El Torreón’ in the old Mudéjar neighborhood.
- At the top of the village are the remains of an old Moorish castle.
- On the last week of August Frigiliana’s largest event takes place: the three Cultures Festival.
- On the 20th of January is Frigiliana’s Patron Saint San Sebastian celebrated and on the 13th of June, homage is paid to San Antonio de Padua.
- Twelve ceramic plaques situated throughout the old section of the village tell the story of the Moorish uprising and the last battles that were fought in the area.
- Famous artists and photographers, including Arne Haugen Sørensen, Klaus Hinkel, Penelope Wurr and Miro Slavin stayed in Frigiliana. Regular exhibitions take place in the Casa del Apero and in private galleries.
- If you have a car, you will find some of the best villages to visit in Andalucia along the Costa del Sol and you’ll be able to enjoy more white villages of Andalusia in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada.
- Some of the most beautiful towns in Spain like Sevilla and Granada are close by.
Getting Out Into Nature
- Frigiliana is a great base from which to explore the surrounding Sierra de Tejada Almijara Natural Park.
- Explore the Rio Higueron and take a picnic with.
- Visit the lost village of Acebuchal.
- if you like go for a horse ride.
Frigiliana Market Day
Frigiliana Market Day is Thursdays and Sundays. Try the local produce and specialties.
Walk Frigiliana To Nerja
One of the many exciting Frigiliana things to do is to walk down to Nerja, which belongs also to one of the best villages in Andalucia. At least three different routes are great to undertake of which one descends to the River Chillar from outside Frigiliana. If you want more than just walk Frigiliana to Nerja, you can also paddle downstream over rocks and small waterfalls through several gorges. In summer you maybe like to swim in lovely pools fed by waterfalls.
Colorful plants decorate the white-washed houses.
Best Time To Visit Frigiliana
The hottest, and busiest months are June, July, and August, where highs are regularly around 36°C and lowest temperatures at night with 16°C. It is also the months with the lowest chance of rain. January is the coldest month with an average of 11°C and the highest possibility of rain.
The prettiest villages in Spain along the Costa del Sol are quite busy in the warm months. It’s a good idea to book early even in the shoulder seasons. But if you want to go to Frigiliana in winter, make sure that you book accommodation with heating.
We wandered up the hillside through the cobble-stoned streets, past the white houses with doors painted in pastel colors.
How To Get To Frigiliana
Malaga To Frigiliana
Frigiliana lies about 50 kilometers east of Málaga. Malaga airport to Frigiliana is 68 kilometers.
It’s likely you’ll rent a car because most white villages like Frigiliana are out in the sticks. Read about our car rental hacks before you do so.
Follow the exit road from the airport. Heading for Málaga. Take the exit Ronda de Málaga direction ‘Motril’ to N340. Than A7/E15 until you reach Nerja. Take exit 292 for Nerja, Costa, Frigiliana. At the roundabout, take the third exit and follow the MA-5105 for the last few kilometers, wind your way up to Frigiliana. Driving time +/- 50 minutes depending upon traffic.
There are several companies offering the service. Check out their TripAdvisor transfer reviews.
It is possible and cheap to get to Frigiliana by bus but it’s quite a journey. You have to get to Málaga bus station, From there to Nerja and then take the bus from Nerja to Frigiliana.
More Infos you’ll get at Frigiliana tourist information.
- Swipe left/right to see more
Fun reads before and during your Andalucia explorations:
I hope you found this Frigiliana blog article useful and you’ll have a wonderful holiday!